Friday, September 08, 2006

Two Newbies

Of course everything is pretty much a new experience to me now. But a couple of things in the past 2 days stood out.

First - today is my first weekend in Khartoum. I'm spending it in the lobby of the hotel so far, working the internet. I'll probably go and try out the gym and pool later on. Suits me fine because I'd like to have some time to myself - especially that it's only one day! I was surprised to learn that the weekend here is only on Friday. Given that we officially work 6 full (8 hour) days. That's 48 working hours a week. It's illegal in most countries. Haven't been here long enough to know what the norm is here though, but I hear that most companies here have 2 day weekends.

It doesn't bother me in practice, but it does bother me in principle. I'm a controlled workaholic, so I work late hours anyway. Also, there doesn't seem much to do here anyway, so I might as well spend the time being productive. But in principle this could have consequences - which brings me to my second newbie:

Yesterday one of my subordinates comes in to announce that he had just handed in his resignation - claiming that he didn't have any time for his life. The timing couldn't have been worse. I had a chat with him and asked him to reconsider, and give me just a month. He agreed. But after some more investigation I found that in the past month alone about 30% of the marketing department had resigned. I know it's not my fault, because I've only been 4 days on the job, but I think it's gonna be a tough ride.

And now for the photo lovers - here's one of my hotel lobby, where I spend all my time blogging and e-mailing. It actually looks better on the picture...

4 comments:

rafal said...

Wis

Interesting stuff, hope your job will be intersting and nto too demanding.
By the way what is "controlled worcoholic" ? Is it something like "controlled alcoholic"?....I drink a bottle of whisky per day but that is fine, because....I control it. Right?

Take Care and hope to read more about how you are doing there
rafal

Anonymous said...

Ciao fratellino,
I'm tracking and reading your progress with interest, living the adventure vicariously through you. It's giving me a vague feeling of that movie, 'Joe Dirt' for some strange reason......but keep talking, I'm listening!

Birra

Anonymous said...

Wiso ya wiso!!
Down Town Beirut has become Town Down without you! (or maybe what's left of Dahieh)
Miss you bestia!!
You think you'll still be able to pronounce my name correctly after the Sudan experience?
Ciao bello!
Rock.

Unknown said...

Rock - I will always remember how to pronounce BESTIA.

Birra - I don't know Joe Dirt, but I'll look it up.

Rafal - Actually, I don't know what exactly is a controled workaholic. It just came out at the time. I'll think about it.