Sunday, September 10, 2006

My First Sudani Thunderstorm

I thought I've seen storms - till today! We were still at the MD's office, just finishing a meeting, when we heard a big explosion, followed closely by an even bigger one! Being Lebanese, and having just come out of a horrible one in Lebanon recently it's natural to think it was shelling.

When we looked out the window, we could see a huge black cloud approaching - not just in the sky, but all over the place. Inside that cloud were constant flashes of lightning. Quite a sight.

After finishing from the office I made my way to the Agency (another rush job!). As we met we could hear the water pouring down. It was raining, but kept coming down stronger and stronger. At one point, after all the lightning, the power went out. Being absolutely and utterly useless without electricity, we were naturally attracted to the entrance. The Agency is actually a villa, that was turned into an ad agency. So we're standing there, (the art director, deputy managing director and myself are all new to this country) in disbelief at the amount of water that is falling down from the sky. But the more amazing thing was the lightning and thunder. I kid you not when I say it was constant. The lightning was like a flourescent light refusing to fully light. Not 2 seconds passed without a flash or two. Being so dark all around, with all the constant flashing actually hurt my eyes. And the thunder was also constantly growling, like an angry dog. This went on for about 20 minutes before it sort of quieted down a bit.

I couldn't take any photos from my phone, because it was all dark - the power was out almost everywhere. That's when I learned another peculiar fact. In Sudan they purposefully shut the power down during heavy rainfall because the high tension wires are not properly insulated. Some guy could be walking down the street, minding his own business, and step into a puddle that is electrified, only to end his life. It used to happen often that after a storm people used to find electricuted and burned cadavers just laying on the streets. Solution? Just shut down the power when it's raining heavily. Simple.

14 comments:

rafal said...

Wis, keep writing...interesting stuff, just don´t step on the water...

Anonymous said...

Duuuude, I thought our trip from Beirut to Damascus was an adventure. It was for me, and only the beginning for you :)
Be safe!

-imad

Anonymous said...

Hey Wiss,

Sounds amazing.......... I can kind of picture a group of adults huddled at the door watching in awe of the bright light (that hurt your eyes :)) Hats off to the Sudanese govern. good to see they are about health PREVENTION aka turning off the electicity to prevent dealth.
Keep on writing it is such a good way to experience Sudan without actually being there.
x Kylie

Anonymous said...

Hey dude!
Hope you are well.
We also had very
strong Thunderstorm in Tokyo yesterday. All the best for your new challenge!

Anonymous said...

I am waiting to read about your first Sudani sex experience...lol...small things seem to have huge consequences in that part of the world...stai attento dude!!!!!
Rock.

Izi said...

That's horrible! Keep away from pudles!
And definitely don't use your phone when you have thunders right on top of your head!

Keep up!

Izi said...

Wiss, stay away from those pudles and definitely don't use your phone when you have that kind of storm above you!

Peace.

Anonymous said...

Rock you can't say that :)

Safe that shit for your other website Wiss......

Unknown said...

Rock - my PARENTS read this blog. I don't think they are interested.

But we can always chat on skype...

Anonymous said...

oh my god your parents read this blog............ oh thanks for the heads up wiss!

Keefuck Zouhair, Keefick Nehal, stat tiack lickteer (sorry I cant spell arabic - but Wissam should be able to decipher that).

xxx Kylie

Anonymous said...

Well Kylie, you talk to me about parental control and yet you write "keefuck" and "lickteer"...I guess Wissam is not the best Arabic teacher you can find...neither am I:-) Anyway you are excused because of your good faith!

Bestia I miss you!!!!!!
Rock

Anonymous said...

Ciao Rock,

Hmmm I guess I didnt really look at the way I spelt that - I was too busy sounding out the word heheheeh.

How are you??? I miss you too xx

Hope all is happy in your life. What are you up to these days huh -How is Beirut??? I hope yr family are all safe xx

So are you married?? Kids?? I am thinking no kids but definately a girl somewhere in the world - you were always a helpless romantic.

Do fill me in xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Kylie,
Beirut is fine even tough it lost one of his most talented and brilliant sons who betrayed it to go to Khartoum...
I am OK, not married of course, dating no particular girl at the moment and no kids.
I'm about to begin a new sailing boat experience...I shall take you all on a trip across the mediterranean next summer aboard my new Luna Rossa:-)
Ciao belli!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Rock,

No way!!!! Really you are setting sail.

Sail across the pacific to the land of OZ where the sun shines 364 days a year.

But do be carefull there are lots of animals in the depths of our oceans..... that would especially like to eat lebanese mafiozo!

x Kylie

P.S Hi Wissam (I forget this is his blog heheheheh wankuck wiss)