Friday, September 15, 2006

Taxi!



It's the weekend, and I don't have a driver. But I still need to get to the office - so I take a taxi.

So far I've noticed 3 types of taxi transportation here: the rickshaws (?); those are the 3 wheeler vehicles, that have motorcycle style handlebars and carry about 2 people. The taxi; that is the small Toyota corola or corona that is about 30+ years old and all yellow. And then there are the little minivans; which are the size of a minature van. They carry different passengers going to different places, as long as it's on their way. (I just noticed today that there are also the busses. How could I miss them - they conjest the streets outside my office every morning)

My first Sudanese taxi experience was quite fun. Went out in front of the hotel to find a couple of them sitting there, to get business. As mentioned before, the Sudanese people are generally friendly and very nice. That goes for the taxi drivers as well.

My ride was with Sayyed. He saw me standing on the opposite direction, so he slammed on his brakes, did a quick u turn and waited for me to open the door and get in. As I entered we negotiated the price, and off we went.

My office is quite close - about 5 minutes by car. On a Friday the roads are quite empty too. In this time Sayyed quickly picked up my interest in his vehicle and gladly volunteered as much info as I could ask for. Generally Sudanese cabs are Toyota Corollas or Coronas, built anywhere between 1976 and 1979. Sayyed also showed me, with his big white smile, the 2 radio's he had installed. When I asked him why he has 2 radios in his car, he explained to me that 2 radios are better than 1 radio. I didn't inquire further.

The interior of the already small car is so jammed with 'stuff' that there is very little space for people. The cars are surprisingly comfortable, and very surprisingly free from rattles and shakes. Of course, remember that I'm talking of a small 30 year old Japanese car that has seen harsh times. Most of the milage on these cars are not on tarred roads.

Not only did he proudly present his vehicle to me, but when I asked if I could take pictures he actually told me to take more, from different angles. I think he should be a movie director.

10 comments:

rafal said...

Man, it is obvious, 2 radios are better than one because when one brakes you can use the other one, or you can listen to them simultaniously to have stereo/quadro or maybe two channels at the same time, playing with the volume and adjusting the tones.....ha?

Plkenty is a s good as Nothing...all depends how you use it

love and peace Wis
rafal

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaha
Rafal I don't know you but you have a great spin on things.....

Unknown said...

Rafal, I seriously doubt Sayyed knows anything about channels, stereo or quadro. More likely than not, as a child someone taught him that "two is better than one". So he grew up with that principle unquestioned and universally applicable, and well entrenched in his logic.

Yes, even LOGIC is relative (please see my Theory of Relativity).

rafal said...

Hey Wis don't really get so deep to analyze this guy's logic,

and as far as relativity is concerned - Einstein was a cool guy..

Kylie, thanks nice to hear you enjoy reading the comments, but thanks for Wis for putting the stuff to comment on heheh? And you don't know me ? Of course you know me.....Everybody knows me ;;;-)
Take Care Kylie

love
rafal

Anonymous said...

Wiss / Rafal,

Do I know Rafal???? Photo doesn't look familiar but it is a pretty dodgy photo - I mean it is dark!!!!

x K

rafal said...

Oh...Kylie, I remember you, you don´t remember me... Oh well, I will put a picture on my blog so maybe you will recollect...

;)))
love
rafal

Unknown said...

Kylie, Rafal, Rafal, Kylie.

There - now you both know each other. I think Rafal may have heard about Kylie on some of my Bahrain Stories. Kylie, you haven't heard any of my prague stories, so you wouldn't know Rafal. He's the coolest Polack I know. Reason his photo is dark is because he's got an artistic license. One day he'll be a very famous photographer. You should see some of his Lebanon shots! Until then though, he passes time at Accenture in Madrid at the moment.

Kylie, on the other hand, is the sweetest Aussie in the southern hemisphere (that's where most aussies live). But underneath the innocent cover she is one cheeky kangaroo! Beware.

rafal said...

thanks Wis for this favourable introduction, it looks like you know a lot about my future...Yeah I am the coolest Polack because this is the only one you know no ;=),

yes there are couple of Lebanon shots linke from my blog, but recntly I focus rather on writing then photography, in this way i will never get anywhere in any of the areas...hehe but it is fun to do things !

love
rafal

Anonymous said...

hahahhha well nice to meet you Rafal (not very Polak name I would hvae thought maybe Borris???)

Wiss thanks for the intro.

P.S I look nothing like a kangaroo

Unknown said...

definitely not! But you can be as cheeky as skipper.