Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Landmark

This is a true story about a very reliable donkey. In a land where reliability is a little more than a distant dream you learn to appreciate consistency and reliability. While taking directions to a colleague's home, he instructed me to take Road 60 (see my post about that) heading South, past the big Mosque, then past the new electircal posts. And I am to take a left hand turn on the dirt road where the white donkey is! My laughs were met with serious looks, across the board. They were dead serious. When I get to the white donkey, I am to take that left. Second building to the right.

I didn't know where to begin my redicule, but my colleague's experience taught him to preempt my reaction, and told me "Look, just do as I say. When you see the white donkey turn left."

That was one for the laughs, I thought. This place hasn't failed to amuse me in the past. Why should it stop now? So off I went on Street 60, South past the Mosque, past the new electrical posts. And sure enough! There he was! The white donkey, patiently standing there on the side of the road. That was amusing. But what's better; I've been to Ziad's house many time now (his helper cooks VERY well), and every time, without fail, there is the white donkey. Patiently standing there, making sure everyone know's where Ziad's house is. Sometimes the donkey has an erection, and sometimes he doesn't. I still haven't figured out what excites him.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This cracked me up as much as the blog about the onion-soup!
So, is it an albino donkey?
How old is he do you think? He can't last forever as a landmark. What will they all do once he expires?
And what's with the erection? Did you notice a pattern between that and Ziad's mood that day??
Have you been to his house at night, and if so, is the donkey there then too?
You have no idea how fascinating this is to me.

Very interesting (and yes, amusing!).

Birra

P.S. hey a white donkey is a lot more distinguishable than a brown donkey.

Anonymous said...

Guys............... your parents are reading this!!!!!!!!

No comment on the white donkey I think he is a spy. Wiss dont trust him and dont fall into the trap of inviting him to stand on your corner........ he only wnats money!!!

Unknown said...

I almost fell off my chair laughing from both your comments!

The donkey is not albino. Just happened to be white. They exist here. The blonde equivalent in donkeys? I don't have the slightest clue how old he is, but good point. And yes, I have been there at night and day. And as reliable as the always, the donkey is always standing there.

The funny thing is that the area is so bare, that it would be really difficult to find without our blessed white donkey. It would be almost impossible to give directions without him.

He very well could be an excited spy!

Anonymous said...

oh PLEASE he is so a spy you just said it yourself...........

The areas is very dry - I mean come on the 'blonde' donkey is eating sand!!!!!

I will spell it for you
S-U-D-A-N-E-S-E M-A-F-I-A

khi said...

Yet another nutrition fact from Sudan: Sudanese don't eat donkeys.

Wissam to confirm!

If I'm in his shoes I would still worry to confuse the first letter with "M" and the landmark becomes history!

Unknown said...

Sometimes the donkey just stands there doing nothing, for a very long time! Just standing very still. I try and be nice while passing by, like smiling. But still nothing from the donkey.

Anonymous said...

You know Wiso, you reminded me how I used to indicate my house in Milano. The landmark I had was a scary Brazilian transvestite who would always stand at the beginning of our road. Sad story tough, yours is full of poetry...this lovely donkey:-)
Miss u bestia!!
Rock.

Anonymous said...

Hmm..the mystery of this white donkey continues! Seems like everyone is pretty intrigued by him.
I loved Rocky's comparison to his landmark for his house in Milano!! The scary Brazilian transvestite!!! I bet that one had an erection sometimes, too. LOL!
Hey!! Maybe it's the same spy!!! You guys, think about that! Coincidence?? I say not!

Careful how you 'smile' at that 'donkey', scimmia. Next time wink at him, knowingly, and point at him like you're in on his little secret...see if he reacts to that.

Birra

Anonymous said...

I knew I had met you before Rock - for it twas me on that corner............... you were wrong about me being Brazilian! You were also wrong about me being a tranvestite :)

Dont judge a book by its cover.

That donkey is a SPY!

Anonymous said...

Kylie...so you were spying on me? What for? I have nothing to hide, I am as transparent as a Murano made vase:-)
Ciao belli!
Love.
Rock