Sunday, October 15, 2006

Shopping



One night, my driver took me to the local shopping street in the center of Khartoum. Besides needing towels, curiosity drove me.

As we parked behind the open sewers, on the other side was a policeman sporting a whip! When asked what it was for, Salah told me he uses it to beat people. Asked if he thought that was a bit crude, he looked at me in a funny way, and said 'no, they deserve it!' as if I were a stupid softie or something.

We went on and entered several stores. The place was quite happening - where light was available - and people were happily window shopping most of the time. It seemed there were more people selling stuff then there were buyers.

I managed to find a couple of towels!

4 comments:

Izi said...

We can actually see your shadow reflected on the guy in front of you. Were you hiding from that whip, Wiss?

Anonymous said...

Needless to mention that you bought a gallon of chlorine with the Towels, right ?!
Miss you dude !

-imad

Anonymous said...

Hey it seems like the guy with your shadow on his back re-appears in your next two shots! Either you were following him, or it's Salah walking in front of you?

Birra

Unknown said...

Hey, excellent observation! I didn't even notice. Yes, that's my shadow on Salah's back. Abir, you can tell Alia that even my shadow doesn't have eyes! And yes, that happens to be Salah in the pics wearing his traditional Sudani clothing (he doesn't come to work in those clothes.

Imad, chlorine and disinfectant!