Saturday, June 23, 2007

To End a Journey

I started this blog preempting your curiosity. 33 posts later, I probably managed to give you a faint idea. Truth of the matter is that Sudan is truly a special place. The experience cannot be given justice in 33 posts. With every new country came a new experience. It's true that no two countries are the same. But Sudan stands appart. It's been unique from a professional as well as life point of view.



The most important things I take with me are the memories and friendships I've made while in Sudan (inside and outside the country). I've also developed an immunity to about half the exotic bacteria in the world. Besides that, it's the unrivaled power of the sandstorms and thunderstorms, the chicken flavoured French union soup, the special (excited) landmarks, and the relative logic that will distort my whole comfort zone to re shape my world. Besides, they make excellent stories to tell at parties.

The end of one journey is only the beginning of another. So the end of this blog is the beginning of another. I will keep you posted on my next journey. I doubt it will top this one, but the times I've said that...

Thanks to all who have kept me company throughout this journey by posting your comments and just visiting my blog.
So now, go out and do something for the first time. And then repeat every week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You who travel with the wind, what weathervane shall direct your course? (...)
When you part from your friend, you grieve not; For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain." K. Gibran
Long is your road Wissam. May it be always full of new experiences, challenges and happiness. V.

Izi said...

From what I've lways heard, Africa has something special about it and no one is left immune to its - sometimes not apparent - charm. Even the most mundane experiences are transformed into sagas or dramas.But then there's also its land, its people, its sky and its smell.
I wish I go to Africa too sometime to truly speak from experience like you, Wiss.
You know I wish you the best of luck and perseverance on this new journey of yours, hope things work out more as you want and deserve them to.
Beijinhos ;)

Anonymous said...

when you are settled in - let me know. i am sure you are re-introducting yourself to life in the outside world. can't wait to catch up.

Anonymous said...

Fratellino,
now that your journey in Sudan has come to an end, I wish you the best on your next one, and I look forward to your next blogs. Great way to keep us all posted together. Stay in touch, and maybe you can make a trip to this part of the world for a visit?
And by the way, I tremendously enjoyed all your accounts on this journey. You have a great way of telling the story.

Birra

Antonio Leitao said...

Dear Wissam,
While waiting for your new blog (although I imagine that now you will not have so much free time as before...:), here's my big hug & best wishes and thank you for the nice, interesting, deep and funny moments you provided us with your Sudanese stories!

"When you spend time abroad the place you learn most about is not the
place you are visiting, but the place you left behind!"

(unfortunately I don’t remember who wrote this but I like it very much)

Anonymous said...

surely not. I was about to come and visit you.

so what is next. are you looking for work, where, what? i hear life in the emirates is great these days. let me know if you need help with anything.
ak

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments guys! I enjoyed making this blog, and it will be nice to keep looking at it. I might even print all the posts out and give it as a present to everyone who has contributed with their comments and viewings and anyone interested.

I have already embarked in my new journey. I moved to Bahrain a couple of weeks ago, and am trying to settle in here now. As you may know I used to live in Bahrain 6 years ago, so I am not starting from scratch. At first I didn't think I'd set up a new blog site for Bahrain, as it isn't as exotic as Sudan. But I may change my mind one day.